History

A Legacy of Service

Established in 1959, Girdwood’s fire department began with just a military surplus jeep and a WWII-era 250-gallon-per-minute (gpm) “deuce and a half.” Despite limited resources, the department was committed to protecting the community from fire emergencies.

The Birth of Girdwood EMS

In 1974, the need for emergency medical services became tragically clear when two Alyeska Resort employees were attacked and seriously wounded. With no local ambulance available, medics had to travel from Anchorage, taking over an hour and a half to reach the victims. In response, Girdwood residents organized and petitioned the Municipality of Anchorage for an ambulance, allowing the fire department to provide Emergency Medical Services (EMS). That fall, under the leadership of Fire Chief John Trautner, Girdwood’s first EMT class was held.

Expansion and Growth

By 1978, the department had grown significantly. A new fire station was constructed, and two Seagrave/FWD 750 gpm fire engines were purchased, strengthening the town’s firefighting capabilities. In 1979, a second ambulance was added, equipped to transport rescue gear and improve emergency response times.

Becoming a Nonprofit Organization

In 1998, with strong community support, Girdwood Volunteer Fire & Rescue was officially incorporated as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. This milestone allowed the department to continue its mission under a formal contract with the Municipality of Anchorage, providing EMS, fire, and rescue services to Girdwood and the surrounding area.

From humble beginnings to a fully equipped emergency service provider, Girdwood Volunteer Fire & Rescue has remained dedicated to protecting and serving its community for decades.